Chocolate & Zucchini Cake
- 240 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 180 grams (1 scant cup) light brown sugar (I use unrefined cane sugar)
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature, or 1/2 cup
virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules or 2 tablespoons strong cooled coffee -
- this is just to deepen the chocolate flavor, you won't taste it in the finished
- 3 large eggs
- 350 grams (2 cups) unpeeled grated zucchini, from about 1 1/2 medium
- 160 grams (1 cup) good-quality bittersweet chocolate chips, or chopped
chocolate I used carob chips here
- Confectioner's sugar (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a 25-cm (10-inch) round
springform pan or a 22-cm (8 1/2-inch) square pan.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking
soda, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of a mixer (or by hand in a large
mixing bowl), beat the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla, coffee,
and eggs, mixing well between each addition.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the zucchini, chocolate chips, and about a
third of the flour mixture, making sure the zucchini strands are well coated
and not clumping too much.
Add the rest of the flour mixture into the egg batter. Mix until just
combined; the batter will be thick.
Fold the zucchini mixture into the batter, and blend with a spatula without
overmixing. Pour into the prepared cake pan, and level the surface.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out
clean. Transfer onto a rack to cool for 10 minutes, run a knife around the
pan to loosen, and unclasp the sides of the pan.