A Caesar salad is a great way to bulk up a typical lettuce salad. It is also a great vessel for leftovers – you can add any chopped vegetable or left over meat that you might have and stale bread is perfect for turning into croutons!
2-4 pieces of stale bread (use your El Jardin loaf 2 days later)
1 head of lettuce
4 cloves of garlic or 3 stalks of green garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup oil
1 Tbsp mustard
1/4-1/3 cup crumbled cheese (Sangha Farm feta and chevre)
Fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix together minced fresh herbs, minced garlic, oil and pepper. Chop the bread into cubes and soak in this mixture. Then remove and place in the oven on a baking tray. Place under the broiler until toasted, then flip, and repeat.
2. Add the mustard and lemon juice to the olive oil mixture that the bread was in. Whisk quickly and add the two raw eggs, and then the cheese.
3. Mix the croutons and the lettuce in with the dressing and enjoy!
• Add 1 Tbsp minced anchovies or rinsed capers to the mix
• Add 1/4 cup salad turnips or radishes to your salad
• Add a handful of spinach or arugula to the salad